Fix Approved Roasted Chick Peas
One of my biggest struggles is my constant need to snack!! Whether it be sitting at my desk or at night on the couch watching TV... all I want to do is snack and snack and snack some more!!
Needless to say, I am always on the lookout for sweet and salty snacks that will actually taste like a snack (I’m looking at you veggies). That is why these roasted chickpeas are PERFECT! This one lets you actually feel like you are really indulging in a delicious snack!! Really satisfies the urge for popcorn and chips!! They have everything you want in a recipe:
These are best made with cooked chickpeas, but can also be made with canned (I actually used canned in these pictures). If you are going to use canned chick peas, please make sure you get a brand with no added sodium. Cooked chickpeas do actually have more nutrients than canned chick peas.
You can flavor these with almost anything! I am sharing 2 recipes here (Garlic Parmesan and Honey Cinnamon - Honey cinnamon chick peas are pictured, fyi) but the possibilities are endless. Just use the base recipe and go from there! Here are just a few other ideas that would be tasty: Soy Sesame, Taco, Peanut Butter and Salt and Vinegar.
It’s imperative that you let these dry after cooking, or after rinsing from the can. The wetter they are the less crunchy they will be and their crunchiness is definitely the draw.... what tricks your mind into thinking that you are eating potato chips or peanuts!!
After they cool from the oven, they become slightly crunchier. So, take them out of the oven just before you think they are perfect. Also, some may jump and pop around when in the oven (like popcorn)...It’s surprising and can catch you off guard, lol! You have been warned! :)
21 Day Fix Approved Roasted Chick Peas
4 cups cooked chickpeas or 2 cans of chickpeas
2 tbsp olive oil
seasonings (see below)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Rinse chickpeas (if using canned) and lay on and cover with paper towels to dry.
- Place parchment paper on cookie sheet and spread dry chickpeas on it.
- Roast chickpeas in the oven for 35 minutes, shaking around half way through.
- Remove from oven and immediately put into a bowl.
- Mix with oil and seasonings until all chickpeas are covered.
- Spread back out on cookie sheet and roast for 5 more minutes.
- Take one chick pea out of oven, let cool, and taste. If it's just almost crunchy enough, remove all from oven and allow to cool.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
: 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, 2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp salt
1.5 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp salt, 2 tbsp honey
21 Day Fix Container Count:
Yellow: 1 (chickpeas)
teaspoon: 1 (olive oil)
Do you want to join my next FREE fun fitness and clean eating group? Just fill out the below form: